If you consider yourself a car aficionado, there’s no doubt that you have a keen interest in muscle cars. In terms of speed and power, it doesn’t get much better than classic American muscle cars. Muscle cars are an important part of automobile history, but they also remain an important part of the current culture of cars in the U.S. Some of us enjoy muscle cars of all shapes and sizes, while others like to debate which muscle cars are the best of all time. For those people that fit into the latter category, here are our thoughts on the top five muscle car designs of all time.
5. 1967 Shelby Mustang GT500 – This car features an astounding seven liters and 428-cubic-inch engine in the form of a mustang. With 355 horsepower, the GT500 is actually more road-friendly than race-ready, which makes it such an impressive muscle car and such a hit with consumers, even to this day. Of course, just because it’s not a racing car doesn’t mean that it can’t fly, because it can, and it’s why the GT500 remains one of the most beloved muscle cars of all time.
4. 1969 Z28 Chevy Camaro – There are certainly faster muscle cars than this one, but few possess the style and likability of the Z28 Chevy Camaro. If your preference is look and feel over pure power and speed, this is the ideal muscle car. With unique combinations available with regard to the engine, exhaust, and induction, this car has to be considered one of the best muscle cars of all time.
3. 1969 Chevrolet Camaro LZ1 – This car was built for the purpose of drag racing, but is completely street legal, which makes it quite appealing. In addition to being a powerful vehicle, the Camaro LZ1 is one of the quickest muscle cars ever manufactured, as it’s as quick as lightning and as loud as thunder from a standstill position. Chevy only made 69 vehicles, and so the rarity of it combined with its power and speed makes it one of the top muscle cars ever made.
2. 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 – This car was designed to be the fastest and meanest car on the road, and almost 50 years later it’s still one of the fastest street legal cars around, being able to jump from 0-60-mph in a little over three seconds. It’s small and sleek, but it packs a major punch for a car its size with 800-horsepower. Aside from its appealing look and impressive speed, the Cobra is also one of the most rare and expensive muscle cars, fetching unbelievable numbers when available at an auction a few years ago, and being able to entice that much interest only adds to its case for being one of the top muscle cars of all time.
1. 1971 Plymouth Hemi ‘Cuda – With a wide stance and a shaker hood scoop, there’s no doubt that this car is one of the best-designed muscle cars ever made. There may have been question marks about how it handles, but there’s no questioning the power and quickness that the car possesses, as it simply explodes from 0 to 60. With only 119 Barracudas ever built, and even less still around today, one in near-perfect condition was listed with a $2 million price tag last year, which is all the evidence necessary to make this car one of the best muscle cars ever made. See one in action in the video below: